May 12, 2009

Baby Classes

Tom and I were not going to take birthing classes because we figured we would figure it out when it happened, but last weekend we signed up to go Friday and Saturday. They would give us good information and we would get a tour of the birthing facility, so we thought it would be nice. It was a long 2 days, but worth it. There was SO much information that Tom nor I are going to remember, but the breathing techniques will hopefully help.

First, I think I should have seen the birthing video before we decided to get pregnant. I don't really know how in the world I am going to do that part. I think I was in denial hoping that it would be quick, easy and painless, but after watching the video, I don't think that is reality. I know, everyone tells you that it could be really long or short or somewhere in between. I was just thinking that I would be quick, wishful thinking. As I watched the woman in the video walk around, cringing in pain, and then having to push the child out, looks like a lot of work, but well worth it.

Second, I don't know what I am going to do about the epidural. I know it would make it easier, but after hearing about some of the issues, I am not sure how I feel about getting one. I am a wuss, so I will probably get it, but I am actually going to try without one. Wish me luck on that one!!!

Finally, I love the hospital we are going to deliver at. We get our own, big rooms with a chair that folds out very nicely for Tom to sleep in. The nurses seem very nice and the place is very clean and big. It should be a wonderful experience. Too bad they won't let us bring dogs there so that Summer could share in the experience with us. Good thing she can stay at Grandma & Grandpa's.

1 comment: